May 19, 2010 | Fishing the Americas...a sportfishing journal

Wednesday, May 19, 2010


As I'm fully aware of everyone's concerns do to the ongoing oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, I thought this would be a good time to give everyone a update to the unfolding situation for both the oil spill and fishing........... Oil Spill ---- This is a day to day situation that no one can anticipate or predict with much accuracy. My feelings and everyone else involved are the same, the oil has to be stopped at the source, and until this happens we will find ourselves in a very fluid situation. What you are seeing on the news is accurate but exaggerated , this is the nature of the beast......... FISHING ---- The first reaction by LW&F was a knee-jerk reaction, with most water closed down to fishing. Little by little they have been reopening water to recreational fishing and at this point in time there is a considerable amount of fishable water open on the East and West sides of the river North of Baptiste Collette Bayou. See LW&F web-page ( ). At one time, these are waters I fished a considerable amount of the time and did very well. With these areas being the only water open to fishing , I've been exploring all of my old fishing haunts and catching fish. Fishing report from Tuesday May 18th 2010 -- Fished with Capt.Dave Iverson on scooting trip --- We found trout holding on rigs out in Breton Sound, a good early and late bite on live shrimp and plastic. Moved to shoreline and sandbars along Baptiste Collette Bayou later in the day and found large numbers of REDS from 8 to 21lbs on plastic. I reiterate, this was a scooting trip, we were looking for fish and not out to see how many we could catch. Results for the day were inspiring and did wonders in boosting my confidence. All things considered, I feel confident in catching fish and providing my clients with the same fishing experience as provided before the oil spill disaster. At this point in time, in terms of cancellation or remaining booked to fish, consideration should be the same as before, wind, tides, moon phase, quality of water. With that said, I must repeat --- This is a fluid situation and can change at anytime ? If any adverse situation arises before your upcoming fishing trip, I will let you know ASAP. If anytime I feel that you will not receive the service and fishing experience you expect, I will let you know ASAP. The last thing in the world I want is to have my customers experience a bad trip due to any reason other then what would be considered normal circumstances ( weather related ). As we move into the summer months that will become more and more of a non-issue. If anyone has a question of concern please feel free to ask........................ Good Luck and Happy Fishing


Google+ Back To Top